StrongLifts 5x5 vs. Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe
According to the creator of StrongLifts you should switch to 3x5 after sometime. Well, at this point you are actually doing Starting Strength. Why not start with 3x5 from the very beginning? To train form? Well, training form with an empty bar is not needed after you learn how to do the basic lifts: squat, bench press, deadlift, press and since you are going to switch to 3x5 StrongLifts might just be called 5x5 prior to Starting Strength.
2) Mehdi, the creator of StrongLifts, is a professional coach but Mark Rippetoe is far more proven than him. The guy is a monster at 55. I would rather trust the guy with more experience.
3) If you keep doing 5x5 for a very long time you will stall and your workout will take 3 hours to finish 3 exercises. 3x5 fixes this.
4) StrongLifts is a site where the lifts are explained in a clean and understandable fashion but Rippetoe's book Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training does this around 50 times better.
5) StrongLifts is now a private community. At the same time you can go on Rippetoe's website and ask him a question any day.
6) If you don't agree with Mehdi you are banned. If you don't agree with Rippetoe he still tells you to go to hell but he does not ban you.
7) The articles on startingstrength.com are much more professional and well written.
8) Mark Rippetoe makes a video tutorial explaining different lifts and techniques on regular basis.
9) Mark Rippetoe has incredible vast knowledge on how to treat injuries and there is a very good chance that he will be able to tell you what to do. If you are injured and you want to ask him something make sure to use the search function since there are many injury related treads in his Q&A section.
Disclaimer: The goal of this blog post is not to insult the StrongLifts program. It's still a good routine, much better than than many routines out there. However I have the right to say why I prefer Starting Strength over it. If you don't agree with me it's totally fine. I just think that Starting Strength is the better program for beginner powerlifters.
Most of you are probably familiar with the Stronglifts 5x5 program and Starting Strength. For those who don't know what Stronglifts or Starting Strength is just google it. Ok?
I will give you 9 reasons why Starting Strength is around ten times better that StrongLifts 5x5.
1) 5x5 programs for sets accross three times a week are pretty damn hard on the body. If you don't know why you probably can't squat your bodyweight. A friend of mine suffered a hip and rear delt tear. Do 3x5 (Starting Strength calls for 3 sets of 5 which is easier to recover from) and you will last longer on the program.
You might also like...